02 December 2009

First blog article revisited

There is an article on the Procurement Leaders website blog about that Ad Age article that I mentioned in my first blog and the influence of procurement, States side. Click here for the article.

What is interesting is that Jonah Bloom, the Editor of Advertising Age hits back and explains the rationale behind his view on the impact of procurement on agencies revenue.

The best quote in the article is 'The squeeze in fees that the advertising industry is experiencing is as a result of better communication between marketing and procurement, not worse'. I think that this is true as the relationship between marketing and procurement is constantly improving.

The sector that I see that 'gets' procurement is Media. I am often asked to do training for the media agencies and support on key tenders. As buyers themselves, I think that they get it and understand and appreciate their role in a tender/pitch situation. The sector that really doesn't get procurement is Design. They really struggle to see how Procurement can put a value on creativity. My advice to any design agency that approaches me - is to help then, help educate the value of your output and work with procurement to get a solution in place that all three parties (including the Brand / Design person) are happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment