07 May 2010

A wolf in sheep's clothing

There is an article headlined in this week's Marketing magazine entitled 'Procurement vs creativity.  The oft-derided department can help motivate agencies'.  Now you must be thinking why I have chosen the title for this blog, as I have said before about the lack of positive press about procurement and this seems to be at last a breakthrough.

The article (I have a PDF of it if you would like it) starts off well saying that procurement can help in the creative process by putting a Performance Related Fee (or bonus) in place.  Sure but this is old news.  I put one in place in 2001 - I have even found the original article about it - here it is !.Orange Lowe PRF.  The rest of the article then really goes on about different remuneration models like the Anomaly model of sharing in intellectual property rights.  There is no real other mention of procurement and some of the great added value areas that they can work with both the client and the agency on e.g. process improvements, measurement and investment in technology to drive efficiencies.

I really think it is time to move away from PRF and I totally agree with Debbie M's view in the article that a lot of people talk about exciting new fee structures but the majority of clients (not agencies) are reluctant to do it.

So , let's be creative and take some risks - happy to help and give my view if any clients or agencies are brave enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment