27 February 2010

Don't you just love a great headline

Something like when The Sun printed the classic 'Freddie Star ate my hamster', I am referring to the headline in this week's Campaign. 'Adland hit as billings collapse'. The Nielsen Company data for 2009 has been published and shows that there were rare examples of billings growth for agencies.

Obviously the driving factor of this is the reduction in client income (obvious statement of the week there sorry about that) but we are (and hopefully) starting to come out of a recession, and it is unsurprising that clients have had to reign expenditure in, but it will bounce back. I think the thing that got me about this article was that it was all quite dramatic and only really refers to the fact that things have been tough for clients and agencies in Claire Beale's Perspective column.

Good clients (Procurement and Marketing) will have been open and honest (as many of my clients have been) with their partner agencies to say this is where we are, let's ride this out together and come out the other side all the better for it. I still see bad examples of commercial ways of working from both sides. The Scope of Work is the starting point of all discussions - but whose responsibility is this ? I would think it is the clients but I see agencies completing on behalf of their clients - any views on this (go on - let me know that I have at least one reader for this blog!)

Iris are running their 3rd in their series of Procurement Breakfasts on the subject of Payment by Results. It is on Thursday 11th March, and if you are interested in going, please contact Nicola Osmond on 020 7654 7343, email: nicola.osmond@iris-worldwide.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment